Updated 20 June 2018 to confirm no recent changes in the NSW First Home Owners Grant.
How much is the NSW First Home Owners Grant?
The current NSW First Home Owners Grant is $10,000 for purchases from 1 July 2017.
Important FHOG NSW eligibility criteria:
- You must be a First home buyer that’s building a new home up to $750,000 in value (combined value of land and buildings).
- For first home buyers purchasing a brand new home, the limit is $600,000.
- Eligible property must be a brand new or substantially renovated property.
- You or your Spouse must never have previously received a Grant.
- You must occupy the home for at least 6 months.
What’s a new or substantially renovated property mean?
Eligible properties for the NSW First Home Owners Grant must be new, which can be defined as:
- A property that not been never been previously occupied or sold as a principal place of residence.
- It must be a home that has never been occupied by anyone, including the builder, a tenant or any other occupant.
- Where the home is being purchased, it must be the first sale.
- This criteria also applies to substantially renovated properties or properties built to replace a demolished building.
Substantially renovated further explained:
- Substantially renovated means all, or substantially all, of the building is removed or replaced.
- Renovations may require replacement of foundations, walls, stairs, etc (but there’s no specific requirement to).
- Cosmetic improvements do not qualify.
How do I apply for the Grant?
You have options:
- Download the application form and apply yourself. Or;
- Apply through an Approved Agent (recommended if you’re applying for a loan).
If you’re applying for a loan, your Lender usually acts as your agent and collects the funds prior to settlement, so you have the money available to you on the day of your purchase settlement.
If you apply yourself, allow at least 2 weeks to receive the funds (and ensure you send all the supporting documents).
Download your FHOG Application here:
Read more about the First home buyers grant info here.
You can read about the changes from 1 July 2017 over here.
If you want to read about the NSW Stamp Duty Concessions for First Home Buyers click here.
Looking for FHOG info on other States and Territories?
If you’re looking for other States and Territories click here, and then select your State.